INTEGRAL TRAINING OF EARLY FORMATORS in NRC, Delhi
(For Priests, Brothers and Sisters in charge of Aspirants, Candidates, Postulants, Pre-Novices & Minor Seminarians)
(Oct 9 – Nov 13, 2016)
- Arrival (Oct 9: 6 pm) (Sunday)
- INTRO. to ITEF (Joe Thadavanal SJ, George Peter SJ & George Mlakuzhyil SJ) (Oct 10)
- DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OF EARLY FORMATION (Joe Thadavanal SJ) (Oct 11-15)
This module deals mainly with two areas: (1) Cultural Diversity of the Formator and Formees – cultural auditing- its impact on formation program and life after formation. Help integrate the cultural diversity of the formees so that they can build up religious/priestly communities that will rise above these cultural/ethnic/ language/geographical differences of and form truly mission oriented communities. (2) Various Methods & Helps to Formulate an Early Formation Program: clarity about the essential elements of formation program; evaluating a person; giving feedback; various ways of intervention for deeper growth.
- Delhi Tour (*Optional) (Oct 16)(Sunday)
- MODEL FORMATORS & THEIR ROLES (Vimal Kishore SJ) (Oct 17-20)
The four-day module will be divided into three parts. The first part will consider and discuss the aspects generally the formees look for in the Formators – as the formees learn more by observing the Formators. The second part will deal with the goal of different stages of formation and the aspects the Formators should look for and aim to develop in the formees. The third part will provide the Formators with the methods of helping the formees to make a sound discernment of their vocation. This will also equip the Formators themselves with the skills to discern the vocation of individual formees as they may have to do it in many cases.
- TRIUNE YOGA, PRANAYAMA & MEDITATION (George Mlakuzhyil SJ) (Oct 21-25)
Yoga, which means union (of a human being with God), can help Christians to have communion with the Trinitarian God (the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit). The regular practice of yogasanas and pranayama harmonizes the body, mind, heart and spirit. It leads the practitioner to awareness, relaxation and meditation. Integrating namajapa of the Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit with the asanas and pranayama, a Christian can enter into meditation on the Holy Trinity and be united with the Triune God.
The workshop is meant to be more practical than theoretical. It aims at initiating the formators into simple asanas (yogic postures) and pranayama (breathing exercises) which gradually lead them to distraction-less meditation through the synchronization of the namanapa (affective and meditative recitation) of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In turn, the formators will be able to initiate the formees into the practice of asanas, pranayama and meditation through namajapa. It will improve the holistic (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual) health of the formees.
- BASIC SKILLS IN SPIRITUAL DIRECTION (George Peter SJ) (Oct 26-28)
The three-day module will cover the following topics: 1) Values and qualities of an ideal Spiritual Director; 2) Holy Listening & communication skills; 3) Methods of Prayer (Examen of Consciousness, Lectio Divina, Ignatian Imaginative Contemplation, etc.); 4) Rules of Discernment of St. Ignatius Loyola; 5) Practice of Spiritual Direction in twos and case studies.
- HALF-DAY INTEGRATION (George Peter SJ & George Mlakuzhyil SJ) (Oct 29) [9 am–1 pm]
- Akshardam Visit (*Optional) (Oct 29) (1 pm-8 pm)
- Pilgrimage to Religious Places in Delhi (Stany Alla SJ) (Oct 30)(Sunday: Diwali) (8 am-7 pm)
- PSYCHO-SEXUAL-SPIRITUAL INTEGRATION & BASIC SKILLS IN COUNSELLING (Joy Pulikunnel SJ & Sr. Veronica BS) (Oct 31-Nov 11)
This module has two parts. a) The first part covers the dynamic of Psycho-Sexual-Spiritual aspects of a person. It presents the depth meaning of spirituality and sexuality, the stages of psychological, spiritual and sexual development of a person, and the giftedness of human sexuality. Enumerating the signs and symptoms of affective, sexual and spiritual maturity, the course helps the participants themselves to integrate these aspects of life, and learn some valuable skills to accompany the formees towards such integration. It enables them to embrace human sexuality as a gift and source of energy and creativity. It provides them with skills to help the formees deal with sexual issues and feelings and enhance psycho-sexual and spiritual maturity to live one’s vocation with true meaning, commitment and joy.
- b) The second part is a training program in basic counseling. In order to guide the formees through their growth process, the formator-trainees will be helped to develop the necessaryattitudes like empathy and understanding. Practical sessions will be conducted in this module in basic skills of counseling like listening, responding and other related skills, which would enable the formators to help the formees to take responsibility for their personal growth and maturity.
- FINAL INTEGRATION DAY (Joy Pulikunnel SJ, Sr. Veronica BS, George Peter SJ & George Mlakuzhyil SJ) (Nov 12)
- Agra Tour (*Optional) (Nov 13). B.* Participants have to meet the expenses of *Optional Tours/Visits.
- Departure (Nov 13) (Sun: 10 am) or (Nov 14) (Mon: 9 am).
Integral Training of Early Formators